Thursday, July 17, 2008

Finding Gladness


We are visiting my parents in Alturas, enjoying the beautiful summer weather, all the elm trees dipping, bowing, and making lovely wind-music, the smell of non-smogged-up air, hearing the laughter of our son and his cousin Hayden.


And then Sam gets sick, and we find out we have to leave two days early, and Aunica is particularly crabby, and I feel like I'm catching the cold too, and Greg is going to be starting work earlier than expected (this coming Monday) and I say to myself, "what a crazyfull world".


Isn't it weird how life is such a mix of emotions--moments all wrapped up in joyfullness and frustration?


I don't want to be a complete Pollyanna, because I think I find her a little obnoxious. But I don't want to be an Eeyore either. So, I find myself jumping schizophrenically back and forth between joy and discontent. I want to concentrate on the good things in life, but darn it... the good moments seem to always be tainted by tiny little disappointments. Some people might call me moody. I think I just feel things more than most.


Here is a picture of one of the best moments of the trip thus far. It was Sam's first fish ever. He was so proud of himself, and I'm pretty darned proud of him too.

1 comment:

harmijo said...

What an adorable picture! I love the look of complete joy on Sam's face :) I know what you mean about life and the ups and downs of it. If you complain you feel like your not being thankful for all the blessings you have, and on the other hand some days just, well...stink! I like that you express both, keep it real girl :) I'm so sorry you and the kiddos are getting sick and that you had to come back early, that's a bummer :(! I will be praying for a speedy recovery for all!

Your friend Heidi