Tuesday, December 15, 2009

For It is Better To Marry...

I recently came across a copy of our wedding invite. It was a pleasant surprise because I haven't seen it for a while. I love the pictures we chose and that Greg did the artwork for it. But more than those things, I kind of really love the Bible verse we chose:

1st Corinthians 7:8 (last chunk):
...For it is better to marry than to burn with lust.


It was supposed to be kind of a joke.


Not that we *weren't* burning...we almost eloped. But we controlled ourselves because we simply couldn't do that to our parents.

But we just couldn't bring ourselves to be yet one more couple that did, "I have found the one my soul loves" or the love chapter (1st Corinthians 13) either.

We thought about doing something totally bizarre--something that didn't have anything to do with weddings (such as the bear-mauling-children passage). But we figured that would leave people scratching their heads.

So, true to our nature, we made a joke and nobody laughed.

NOBODY.

No one ever said a thing about our verse--not even our parents. This has left us wondering for the past 6 years if our beloved friends and family actually took us seriously. Or WORSE, thought we were preaching at them.

Honestly, when we inscribed, "It is better to marry than to burn with lust", we were just making a little comment about the lustier side of our relationship. And we thought it was funny.

But apparently, it wasn't.

*sigh*

We just can't win.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love it.

i'm all about tossin' biblical zingers at my parents.

R.A. said...

Honestly...I don't even remember noticing it. Not to hurt your feelings or anything, but generallky the only people who really pay attention to a wedding invite (other than to find the date) are the individuals who send them out...

Crystal K said...

Really Rachel? I thought people scoured over them like People magazine! "Where ARE they registered at?" "I don't want to miss the RSVP deadline" "What is her new last name going to be?" "What is the venue?"

Dang it. And all this time I thought I was a celebrity.

(I'm kidding, of course--should have thought of that--I hardly read them either).